Are you juggling with multiple garage door openers or other remote controls when you get home? Luckily, the HomeLink® system replaces up to three remote controls or handheld transmitters, allowing you to operate devices like garage-door openers, privacy gates, or home security systems directly from your driver’s seat. If you’re not sure how to program HomeLink, though, we’re here to help. Here are the steps you need to know to set up your HomeLink.
- Push and hold the two outside buttons until the LED indicator light flashes. Keep in mind that this can take up to 20 seconds to happen. This will erase all three HomeLink button programs, so only do it once – and don’t do it when adding additional HomeLink buttons
- Put the hand-held transmitter or remote control one to three inches away from the HomeLink surface, making sure that the HomeLink indicator light is still visible
- Use both hands and simultaneously press and hold the HomeLink button you want associated with your hand-held transmitter, while also pressing the desired button on the transmitter. Make sure you don’t release these buttons until the indicator light flashes slowly, then rapidly. Once the rapid flashing occurs, you can release the buttons since that means you have been successful
- Press and hold the HomeLink button you just programmed and observe the light. If the light is solid/continuous, then your device should work when the HomeLink button is pressed. If the light blinks rapidly for two seconds, then turns solid, then you need to proceed to the next steps
Only complete these steps if the indicator light blinks rapidly for two seconds, then turns solid:
- At the motorhead unit in the garage, find the “learn” or “smart” button, which is usually near where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the unit. If you can’t find it, consult your garage door owner’s manual
- Press and release this button, then return to your vehicle and firmly press and hold the trained HomeLink button for two seconds and release. Repeat this process sequence up to three times to complete the process.
Need more help with HomeLink? Call or visit us here at O’Connor Chrysler Dodge Jeep® Ram.